Thursday, January 20, 2011

Tanpopo @ SF

I don't know if some of you know, but my latest obsession is ramen. After coming back from NY and seeing that ramen is popping all over the place I've been on the search to find the "best" ramen. While I have found many amazing places, I have yet to find a place that just blows every other joint out of the park. I heard that Tanpopo in Japantown was great, so I had to give it a try. It's a small place and definitely busy. I did however notice that there were a lot of caucasian people eating, and that usually is a negative sign of greatness, especially when it comes to Asian food.

I got the salt ramen, and it was just ok. The broth had a nice balance, but lacking in the "o-m-g" department. I didn't like the chasu very much, kind of unflavorful and too lean. The noodles weren't very fresh and were cooked too much to my liking - I prefer al dente. The egg was mediocre, I could have made that egg - give me something amazing. The bamboo pieces tasted like they were rinsed in water one too many times. Overall - meh, and I won't return.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you want to eat this?