Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ippudo @ NYC

So my latest obsession these days is ramen. I'm not talking about the ramen you get at a store, bring home and cook in a matter of 3 minutes. I'm talking about real, legi, Japanese ramen. Maybe it's because it's winter, and I'm constantly craving something that will warm me up. Regardless, before my trip to NYC I knew I had to go to Ippudo once I was there.

Panda and I arrived at Ippudo at the perfect time - before 6pm, which means before the dinner rush. We were able to get a table in 30 minutes, which is great considering as we were seating someone asked how long the wait was for them, the hostess said over an hour. The decor at Ippudo was very chic, and considering it's located by NYU/St Mark's Square, totally makes sense. However I was taken aback that I didn't see that many Japanese workers/chefs, considering this is a Japanese restaurant, from Japan (funny store while I was eating at Ippudo in NYC, Watermelon was eating Ippudo in Tokyo).

The ramen was the BEST I've ever had up until that moment. I loved the broth, and I loved the consistency of the noodles. Kind of like al dente, with a bite, and a give when you bit down on it. The decorative bowls were a nice touch too, where each different bowl of ramen had it's different bowl to represent itself. Kind of cool. Now, as you will see in future posts, I found an even better ramen place in NYC. TBA.

Ramen Bowls along the wall 

Ramen Noodles encased for the bar 







Chicken Karage
fresh, flavorful, chicken was tender, and the batter was nice and light. 

Tori Ramen
[Salt flavored ramen noodles in 'Ippudo chintan' clear chicken and pork soup with pork loin chashu, menmaa, spinach, 1/2 boiled egg, naruto, shiso & daikon] 
i loved the bowl. the noodles were cooked perfectly, not mushy at all. the broth was nice and clean, and you could definitely tell it's been stewed for hours. the chashu was good, but a little too lean for me, and could have stand to had more flavor

Akamaru Modern
['The original tonkotsu' soup noodle with Ippudo's special sauce, pork belly chashu, cabage, kikurage, scallions, miso paste & fragrant garlic oil]
this was the  best! just look at it! look at all the flavors just swimming around. after you took one sip and thought you had a flavor down, you were wrong because more flavors came bursting out. the broth was hearty and full bodied. hmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you want to eat this?