Thursday, January 20, 2011

Gatsby's Diner @ Sacramento

For some reason I've been wanting to go to Gatsby's Diner in Sacramento forever, and I think it's because of all the reviews on Yelp. Also I think it's because each time I look to see where I should eat, it always pops up. Finally came here with watermelon and our respective boy toys. The decor is ok, and there's this huge tepanyaki grill in the middle of the dining area - I think it used to be a tepanyaki restaurant. Apparently it's been converted to an area where the burgers are made. Nothing spectacular because you don't watch them cook your burger for you, and also you smell like food afterwards - something I definitely don't enjoy.

I'm actually shocked to see that they filmed Triple D (diners, driveins and dives) here because it's airing on January 31 on the foodnetwork. The burger really wasn't that great. I expected amazingness, perhaps something as great as Ray's Hell Burger from DC or at least something better than In-N-Out, but it really wasn't. The burger was average. I'll agree that the burger patty definitely was not dry, it was juicy - but that was it. I didn't like the bun, I didn't like the spread, and I didn't like the mushroom that they used - because it seemed like there wasn't any.

The service was pretty bad initially too. Took the waiter some time to bring us water, then he totally forgot about the shakes and floats that we ordered, which we expected to come before the burger. Then he forgot a diet coke, which doesn't even require much effort (get ice, hold cup to soda machine - done). However, they did redeem themselves when the waiter told us that he would comp our drinks, which was nice. I appreciate it when places realize their mistakes, and in addition to apologizing they add a little more "umph."  Overall, burger good, not great, not worth the price and I won't be returning. I will like to see what Guy Fieri has to say about this place though.

Bacon Mushroom Swiss
[8 oz. burger patty topped with swiss cheese and crispy bacon, with mushrooms, mayo, and caramelized onion, served on a toasted bun]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you want to eat this?