Sunday, July 12, 2009

Cabonara @ my home

I made dinner tonight! and I was actually really impressed with myself. Cabonara is Panda's favorite, and who can blame him? It's creamy and has pork in it :P But tonight's Cabonara was my BEST performance! I think it's because I added more cream than the recipe suggested, I used bacon instead of pancetta, I actually left the yolk and cream in room temperature, added salt and pepper to the mixture, and used a really good parmesean reggiano. My mom told me it had good flavor, and she said shrimp added to it would be good...I didn't think to add shrimp, but it would have been nice. Oh yea, she said that she wanted more meat! hahaha, and yesterday she told me that we need to eat less meat. Aiya. Again, I forgot to take pictures of the "process" of cooking this, but see below for recipe



Cabonara:
1 yellow onion, minced
4 ounces pancetta or prosciutto, diced (0r 12 oz. bacon slice 4cm wide)
1 pound pasta
3 large egg yolks, at room temperature
1/2 cup heavy cream, at room temperature (needs more)
3/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, at room temperature (or 5 oz. shave parmigiano-reggiano)
bowl of frozen green peas (eyeball it)

In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and heavy cream and add to the pasta, along with the Parmesan. Remove the pot from the heat and toss the pasta until it is well-coated. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. If needed, add a bit of the reserved pasta cooking liquid to help toss the pasta if it is dry. Serve immediately.

Run frozen peas through warm water

Heat pan and add sliced bacon/pancetta, if cook with pancetta need to add butter and olive oil, but if bacon, well bacon has enough grease by itself. When bacon (meat) is half way done add the onion and cook until the onions are translucent and the bacon/pancetta is beginning to crisp. Remove from the heat and set aside. (poor out excess grease)

While the bacon and onion are cooking bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente, about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain pasta in a colander (reserve a small amount of the cooking liquid in a small bowl).

Add pasta to bacon/onion mixture, green peas, and mix around. While it is still hot add the eggs, cream and cheese mixture slowly, and be sure to coat evenly.

1 comment:

  1. do you think that I could swap out the cream for riccotta?

    ReplyDelete

Do you want to eat this?