Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Laurel Restaurant I @ China (shenzhen)

Arrived in China and first thing on the itinerary, before shopping, is to EAT! Walked into Laurel Restaurant [top floor] and it was actually pretty, more than I expected. Sat down, and smelled the food! Then my cousin and I started talking, and she told me that you have to be careful what you're eating in China. There is a lot of fake food - there was an incident awhile ago of fake cooking oil, where they used sewage water, ick. So throughout the entire meal I kept asking; is this a fake fish? fake pork? fake shrimp? fake pig's knuckles? Laurel Restaurant is a safe place to eat though. It's a Hong Kong restaurant in China, it's owned by a Hong Kong person, and the chefs are from Hong Kong - yes I realize that someone may have just said that to me to appease me. But for reals, have to be careful what you eat in China. First of all things aren't clean, and you don't know what they're putting in it. When we walked around Lao Jie later there was a lot of street vendors. I was curious but scared at the same time (I saw a kid poop right on the street next to a food stall). Also for those of you that do not know, because I didn't, there are no "toilets" in China. For ladies, it means pop-a-squat asian style right onto the floor, with a hole. No toilet, no toilet seat, no covers, no where to sit. NOTHING! Beware!

Snacks before Food - dried tiny fishes

Braised Pig's Knuckles
absolutely delish! seriously it's not gross, and it's actually way better than chicken feet. 

Braised Fish Collar
really full of flavor and fragrant

Fried Taro Dumpling
not that great. i think it's cause it was vegetarian and i like meat in mine

BBQ Pork Bun
Rice Noodles w. Shrimp

Steamed Spare Ribs

Stuffed Mushroom w. Shrimp and Abalone
tres succulent

Fried Wonton
and no there was no cream cheese in it! it was legit! there was pork and shrimp. really good

forgot

Steamed Beef Balls

Fried Bean Curd w. Shrimp
didn't like the cilantro inside

Roast Goose
o-m-g. can it get any better? the skin was crispy and the meat was juicy and savory; nice and salty and sweet at the same time. more more more!

Siu Mai
unimpressed

"Lau Sa Bao" literally "bun that leaks w. sand"
really good! look at the gooeyness! it was like sweet and salty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you want to eat this?