Saturday, October 24, 2009

Taraval Okazu Ya @ Sunset

So I come home, and my mom tells me that there's this Japanese restaurant on Tarval that she liked. I immediately asked if it's as good as Tekka, and she goes "Tekka's expensive." Ok fine...I get the point. Apparently this place is really busy because we get there before 6pm on Sunday, and all the tables in the front are full. They put us in the "middle room" between the front of the restaurant and the back. In a matter of 5 minutes, the place fills up completely. The sushi menu is extensive, and it looks like there are a lot of good things. I'm starved, and super excited. I basically order EVERYTHING off the menu (sorry no pics for all...I got lazy): hamachi, spicy tuna roll, dragon roll, ankimo, salmon, uni, toro, scallops, tempura, hamachi kama, kani salad, oysters...and maybe more.

So initially things are looking good...but the hamachi was different...it tasted the same, but it was pink. Has anyone ever seek pink hamachi? I've never...in my experience it was always white or off white, or maybe even yellow in the low grades. Anyways, I didn't say anything because it tasted like yellow tail and it was fresh...so just probable a different grade..meh?

The downside of the ENTIRE meal, and why I will NEVER go back was the scallops. What they served to us...was not scallops, not even close. First of all when it came to the table, it wasn't pearly white...there was green onions and ginger on top of it, as well as some oil type dressing. Fine, maybe that's just what it looks like, just like the hamachi. I take one bite, and INSTANTLY, I knew it wasn't it. The texture was off, it wasn't fresh, it wasn't bouncy, there was no bite, there wasn't flesh. It just kind of sucked...majorly. I forced myself to swallow and finish the other half. I asked my mom and aunt for permission to say something to the waitress because, I didn't want to emabrass them. My mom even said it wasn't scallops, and that woman knows her seafood. I got our waitress' attention, and told her that this wasn't scallops. She proceeded to argue with me, and said it was...and then said she was going to take them away. The owner (asian-chinese lady) comes, and asks if there is a problem. I say, yes this isn't scallops. She too proceeds to argue with me (anyone heard of the customer is always right?). I tell her that it isn't, and she keeps insisting that it is. I tell her that I've been to at least three different japanese restaurants in the city, and they all give me the same "scallop" that is hotategai, but not here. I tell her that we've ordered tons of food, and I know my food. She still argues with me. She tells me that it's a different spieces or type, I tell her that her menu not only contained the Engish word "Scallops" but contained the Japanese equivalent of hotategai, which is the scallop that I know and love. I told her that I understand that there are different kinds of scallops, but the japanese word for scallops that she places in her menu, is not the type of scallops she served us. She said she would not charge us for the 4 that remained on the plate, but will still charge us for the 4 that we consumed (and they were forceably consumed). This woman wasn't done though, she went into the fridge and showed me the package that contained the scallops, and proceeded to explain that it's from Japan, and it's the highest grade. I again tell her that what she had on her menu...did not fit what was served. Plain and simple.

So there...never again. Don't argue with me...seriously. I eat well, I know my food, I love food. And above all I'm a lawyer in training...you think you can take me? Think again.

Oysters in Half Shell
ok so i've never been a fan of raw oysters...or just oysters for that matter, it's the stomach. it terrifies me. but i tried the tiniest one on this platter, and it was great. it was truly fresh, and tasty. i was not scared at all..so maybe i'll try two next time

Shrimp & Veggie Tempura
not bad....not great...but ok. better than other tempura that i've had, but still not amazing

Spicy Tuna Roll; Dragon Roll; Hamachi Sushi
spicy tuna was not bad...but i've definitely had better. dragon roll was good, but how do you really mess it up right? It's just avacado, unagi and crab...so yea. hamachi, it was good. it tasted like hamchi, but the color is off. it's not my camera, i promise! yellow tail doesn't look like that right??!

Hamachi Kama
my mom's favorite! it was really good....no complaints here

Ankimo (monk fish liver)
so this is my first time trying this...i was really curious, it's a delicacy i guess? i have no idea how much it cost. but i really liked it. i guess it might be an acquired taste, and i don't know how to quite explain what it tastes like. it was creamy...salty...and something else too. not sure how to put into words. but try it!

Salmon; Kani Salad; Uni
Kani salad was ok....not as great as isobune in japan town which is my favorite of all time, and seems like it will always be my favorite. uni was amazing...uni is sea urchin roe for those of you who don't know. the uni was fresh, smooth, creamy...and really good!

no picture of scallops...but they sucked for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you want to eat this?