Monday, February 1, 2010

Big 4 Restaurant @ San Francisco

What is the Big 4 Restaurant the Best Of? I have no idea. I don't know what category it fits into, but I think it is simply one of the best meals I've had. Went here with Miss. Watermelon (who by the way, RUSHED me to post these pictures up for her own fatty-ness...lol) during Dine About Town week in San Francisco. I figured I'd be a good asian and go to a restaurant that was four dollar signs ($$$$), and you know what? TOTALLY WORTH IT! And I might have to say brilliant as well.

This is another one of those restaurants that doesn't heavily (or at all) advertise it's name on the exterior. The restaurant is on the corner of California and Taylor, and it is completely conspicuous. When I walked in, I was a little confused...there was no hostess table. All I saw was the bar to my right, and a bunch of little tables around the "dinning room" area. I finally found the host, which was also the coat check guy. The decor of the restaurant reminding me of a old gentleman's club, and I expected to see old white men sitting in those big leather arm chairs, with a cigar in one hand and the other hand holding a glass of cognac. Yup. Cell phones are not allowed, and everything is done in it's own time, so don't rush. The food? Absolutely superb! See pictures below! I would like to come back to this place for a regular meal and order off the regular menu, but I think my wallet needs some more money first! 

 
Lobster Bisque
pretty good, and nice chunks of lobster. but i think i've had better somewhere else. not sure how i felt about the puff pastry in the middle...kind of meh?

  
Pan Seared Diver Scallops
[served w. Maine Lobster-Artichoke-Yukon Potato Hash, smoked pequillo pepper cream, organic watercress and crispy smoke chip salad]
cooked beautifully! absolutely beautifully! loves it when chefs don't cook seafood until it's chewy and hard to swallow. rather the scallops were cooked medium rare, quite soft. i didn't care for the red sauce, kind of reminded me of sirracha and i don't like that, that goes for watercress too. however, love love the potatoes and the chip salad, very nice compliment.

  
Bread Pudding
best bread pudding i've ever had! i only like bread pudding when it's done right, and this was clearly done right. the bread pudding was warm and gooey. a very nice vanilla custard sauce. the right amount of raisins, and i love love the pastry dough on top

Warm Flourless Scharfeen Berger Chocolate Meltdown Cake
[w. vanilla bean gelatto and rasberry rum coulis]
seriously this didn't taste like it lacked any flour, because it tasted like a cake to me! best thing about this? the chocolate, oh so rich! totally kicked the chocolate craving out. nom nom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you want to eat this?